Saturday, March 31, 2007

Shedding Saturday



My niece B. and I went to the stable this morning to spend time with the horses. They will be at the riding stable until May when it dries up around here and we get back from a family trip to Florida. It's hard having them away from home in a lot of respects but they are only 5 minutes away and it's necessary as we are gone a lot in the winter so there would be no one to take care of them for us. Plus there is an indoor arena where they are boarded and that is nice in the winter.



We can have some pretty fierce winters here in Maine so our horses get nice and furry to keep warm. This time of year they start shedding out the winter hair and it is quite a job to get it all out. Our big old Appy gets the most, he probably has enough hair for 3 horses. Wednesday when I was up there I brushed him for an hour and got tons of hair out and today I got just as much again with still tons to go.






They really love to be brushed and I love doing it but after awhile my arms get tired when I have this much hair to get out. Wish I could come up with a worthwhile use for it. I do bring some home to put out for the birds to line their nests with so it does serve some purpose.






Now all of this would line a lot of nests!



Tonight is the Talent Show at church. We had our rehearsal last night and it went well. We have only lost one act and that was totally unavoidable as the man is in the military and he has to fly a colonel somewhere so there was no getting out of that! I'll get a few pictures to post of some of the acts. The cutest is two little girls tap dancing, they are just adorable! Can't wait to see them tonight in their dance costumes.

3 comments:

Joan said...

Wow...I knew horses shed but I had no idea that it could be so much hair...and so much work! Amazing.

Good luck on the talent show...it sounds like so much fun. Are you sure you don't want to get up on stage and perform? :~)

Susie said...

I also had no idea they shed so much. My first thought was that my Grandma used to talk of "horsehair blankets"
Do you suppose they really used to make blankets from that hair? Wish she was still here to ask!

palmtreefanatic said...

wow! I never knew horses shed like that?!!! That is amazing! interesting to know thanks for posting:)
Hope you have a great weekend!