Wednesday, March 7, 2007

It's the 'I can't think of a name for it' post.



Had a scare in the night last night. The alarm system went off at about 3 AM and it registered that we had a propane leak. We have two fireplaces with propane inserts, one in the basement and one on the main floor and we were on the second floor. We jumped out of bed and the alarm company called to see if we needed the fire dept. but we said we'd check it out and call if need be.

It's been extremely cold and windy here the past couple of days and we think we got some back draft that sent some propane into the room and set off the alarm. We reset it, went back to bed and waited for it to go off again but thankfully it didn't. There have been some very tragic occurrences with propane and I can't emphasize enough how important it is to have a detector installed. We have the hardwired kind and also the battery kind in case the power goes off. Very small investment for a very important life saving device.


The grandkids are here today. They called this morning and wanted to come over and visit. Now, I'm not sure if it was me they wanted to visit or Noodles and Munchkin.....They seem to be a big attraction these days. Noodles loves all of the attention and jumps right in the middle of the excitement but Munchy is a bit more timid and when things get too wild she goes for parts unknown.


We have been doing crafts with old Christmas cards. I hate throwing anything out so have lots of old cards on hand. It's too cold to play outside today. They wanted lunch at 10 so now at noon they are having snacks, pecans and Ritz crackers. Now that's quite a combination but when you're at Grammies you kinda do what you want.....heehee! Dylan didn't want his picture taken as you can see.

I have been helping a friend clean out her mother's house as her mother passed away in September. She had lived in that house 75 years and was 99 years old. It has been quite a trip down memory lane for my friend as we have uncovered treasures from her past that she thought were long gone. We have chuckled over pictures of her hair styles in high school, (she is 75 now) admired some of the dresses she wore for special occasions that her mother had saved and were in an attic closet and shed a few tears for days gone by. How fast time goes by, it seems like in a blink of an eye my child is a grown man with children of his own. When going through the days of dirty diapers, fussy babies, and lack of sleep sometimes the days seem long but let me tell you it goes by way too fast and before you know it you're an empty nester. Now that is not all bad once you get used to it and thankfully if you are so blessed as to have grandkids you get a second chance to experience the fun times again. So today has been one of those fun times and when the little kiddos go home I'll clean up the house, sit on the sofa and 'rest' my eyes for a few minutes! Probably Noodles and Munchkin will curl up in my lap and 'rest' their eyes too!

3 comments:

Susie said...

Glad the propane leak was a false alarm!!
I love days with the grandkids, and you're so right that time with our own kids goes so quickly. With a 14 year old grandson, I'm finding that time with them is also flying by..
:)

Tracey said...

Wow, yes, that would be quite the scare! Glad everyone is okay.

You'd asked how I found your blog...well, I just go along clicking comments on my blogs, then comments on other people's blogs...and that's how I ended up here! Happy that you paid a return visit =)

KC said...

Oh my.. So glad the propane leak was a false alarm, how scary..
You are a wonderful grandma, the kind of grandma I grew up with and the sort of grandma my mom is, and the kind I want to be one day. You take time for your grandkids and it's not just that you make the time for them but you truly enjoy spending that time with them, doing fun things with them.. They will remember that forever and ever.. I'm one of the lucky ones who still have my one set of grandparents still alive and healthy. They spoil(LOVE) my children there great grandchildren just as much as they did us when we were growing up.. It's wonderful.. I only hope to be 1/2 the grandparents they are. Keep up the good work grandma :)