Thursday, March 29, 2007

Quilt Class Thursday

I just got home from quilt class. I only had two students today as the rest of them had appointments or things that they had to attend to. I thought it would be an easy day so I took some of my own stuff to work on between questions. WRONG. I had one student nearly in tears over her blocks that just weren't going together well and she was getting terribly frustrated. She only has one block done out of the 12 and the rest of the class has them either done or almost done. Her problem is that she picked some very flimsy fabric which isn't 100% cotton, has some poly or something in it and it stretches and frays easily. She has spent most of her time taking out seams and redoing and then taking out again.

Gulp, now what do I do????? I didn't want a student leaving in tears and never finishing her project. I decided she needed some help getting caught up so the other lady and I started sewing, pressing & trimming those blocks with her and we got all 12 finished. The old saying 'many hands make work light' (or something like that) applies even in quilting. She was so excited and ready to rock and roll next week on her sashings. I sure appreciated the other lady giving up her time to help this gal. I have such a nice group of ladies in my class, couldn't ask for any better.

I have been reading some of my favorite sites and they have been talking about spring cleaning and it is giving me the courage to tackle the dreaded walk in closet. Now I am a 'tad' older then most of these gals that are so full of get up and go. My get up and go has somewhat gone so I don't think I will try to do as much in one day as they do so I am going to set myself up on a schedule. I think an hour and a half a day for four days should do it without breaking the bank or should I say the back. Now I just have to decide on a day to start..............

4 comments:

Musings of a Housewife said...

Go for it! Laura at An Organizing Junkie is having a 30-Day Organizational Challenge. You might want to join in!

palmtreefanatic said...

cool cool cool!

Joan said...

That was a wonderfully encouraging thing you did helping the student and I'm sure it gave her the confidence to keep on quilting.

As far as spring cleaning goes, my attempt to declutter has come to a grinding halt. Maybe your decision to start will help me get back on the road to tidyness.

Susie said...

I've been spring cleaning too, but just a bit at a time. How sweet you were to help your student with her squares.
:)