Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Tuesday Talk



Don't let anyone tell you that raccoons don't like their comforts! This was taken one summer when I looked out and this little raccoon was asleep in one of the deck chairs. She stayed there for a long time, was still there when I went to bed but gone in the morning. She did come back several times and take a nap and eventually started bringing her babies. I'll try to find a picture of them too.









Many of you will remember the movie Peyton Place that came out 50 years ago. Of course I was just a tot and didn't know about it until about ten years later and watched it on video. It was quite risque at the time, they sure would be shocked now at what is on the TV and in the movies wouldn't they? I guess my interest in the movie and the subsequent follow up movie was the fact that I went to boarding school about 10 miles from there and went through Camden every time I went home. The Camden web site visitcamden.com has a write up and has this to say and I quote:



The 50th anniversary of the filming of Peyton Place in Camden took place last summer on the weekend of June 15 through the 17th, 2007. The movie, which garnered nine Academy Award nominations and launched the careers of more than a few cast members, was Camden’s first brush with Hollywood.



I know there are a lot of you readers out there and this might be a fun read for you even though it is more then 50 years old. Have any of you read it???? The web site talks about the actors that made a name for themselves, my favorite was always Sandra Dee.





The shop where I purchased my gown for my senior banquet was the shop featured in the film, under a different name of course. Camden is a beautiful little coastal town with quaint shops and a beautiful harbor filled with lobster boats. It's one of those picturesque towns that the tourists enjoy but haven't taken over like say Bar Harbor where the huge cruise ships come in and mob the little downtown.



The turkeys are back in full force after the big storm over the weekend. I love how the males fluff up and show off their finery. The ones is these two pictures are fairly old as you can see the tassels hanging from their chests. The older the bird the longer the tassel. I doubt if their life span is very long with all the predators that enjoy them for dinner but these two have been around for a while. The grand kids enjoy finding the long tail feathers in the summer time.






I'm still on barn duty at the stable. Have been feeding and doing chores about every other day to help out. Tomorrow is supposed to be freezing rain and slick roads so I doubt I'll get up there. Jean, the owner, is coming along quite well with her eye but still isn't able to do much as far as lifting or risking getting into the hay dust. Her son and husband are doing everything that I can't do.



The horses all look good and we are thankful that we aren't having a winter like last winter with the outbreak of the strangles. We had a couple of months that were horrendous with all the fevers, pus, sweats and temperature taking. Buddy was the sickest and it was touch and go with him for a few weeks but the old boy pulled through thankfully!!! :o) Our dear gentle giant, what would I do without Buddy????


I'm looking forward to the mini horse show in Ocala next week. I may just have to put a couple of them in my suitcase and bring them home! Brace yourselves for pictures galore! I'll try to restrain myself but with something as cute as minis it's going to be hard not to take tons of pictures.



Someone asked me about the teeth cake in my last post. I don't know who made it, it was a forward that someone sent me with a bunch of funky cakes and that one caught my eye so I had to put it in.

18 comments:

kdwhorses said...

Oh the racoon is just too cute! She looks like she owned the chair! Never heard of the movie! The turkeys are just beautiful. Life without our horses, no way! Well, the weather here has been cold and muddy. Looking forward to spring like weather real soon!

KC said...

oh my goodness look at that poor sleepy racoon. We had one around this summer but I havn't seen it around in months. never slept on my pourch chair.. Noramlly I found it in my garage(which is sort of like a barn garage) up in the rafters.

We are getting freezing rain and 8 to 9 inches of snow tonight.. I think we already have 5 or 6 inches of ice I'm looking forward to spring.

palmtreefanatic said...

We are in the midst of an ice storm, KC is right! I did not know we are to have that much snow though, I am thinking there will be no school tomorrow!

I love that racoon! just simply adorable all the way!

I got my cookbook today! I am so excited!
THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!

Mississippi Songbird said...

That coon is so cute..lol
I bet the babies were adorable!
Hope you have a wonderful Wednesday! Bunches of hugs!

Rising Rainbow said...

The racoon in the chair is just too cute! They are such curious critters and boy can they get into trouble. I had a friend who had one as a pet when I was a teenager. We got lots of laughs out of her antics.

I didn't know that Buddy had strangles. That's a scary thing. And then did he founder after that? You had quite a year.

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

Those turkeys are HUGE! We have some wild ones around here but they haven't made it to our yard yet.

Suzy said...

Great shot of the racoon! Why don't you start a petting zoo on the side!!:)I'll have to check out the "Peyton place" post!

Needled Mom said...

That racoon certainly looks comfortable. We have a lot of them here and have to make it a point to keep the cat and dog food tightly contained.

Beautiful turkeys! Somewhere I have a beard from one that my uncle sent to me.

Yes, thank heavens that you do not have a winter like last years at the stables. Sounds like you are getting another big storm today.

As for your question about the eggs....no eggs yet. She will usually lay them around Memorial Day.

I'm looking forward to the miniature horse pictures.

Mary said...

I love the photo of the raccoon sleeping in your chair. That is precious. Animals bring a lot of joy into our lives with their antics.

I do remember Peyton Place, but more from tv. There used to be a weekly series and the woman I boarded with through the week while I went to high school was absolutely addicted to it.

Buddy is beautiful. Love the photos of the turkeys and look forward to seeing photos of the minis.

Blessings,
Mary

Kerri said...

That photo of the raccoon is adorable. I don't like seeing them around our barn though, since that big one killed 3 or our cats in December '06.
Oh yes, I remember Peyton place :) But perhaps it's more the TV show I'm remembering if the film is 50 yrs old. I think I've seen it though.
You've sure had more than your share of snow this year. The snowmobiling ride sounded like lovely fun.
Those turkey photos are wonderful. How are you liking your new lens?
I love your joke about the outhouse. LOL!

Kaila said...

That racoon is just too cute! I love all of your pictures,they're all so beautiful. And I REALLY like your new layout.

Tammy said...

That is the sweetest picture of a raccoon cuddling on that cozy chair!

And I never thought of turkeys as particularly pretty before, but seeing that photo of them, I have to say I think they are beautiful!

I did see that movie when it came on TV as I was in my early 20's...

Have a great time at the horse show this weekend!

EquineSpirit said...

Awwww...that raccoon is sooo cute!!

We had strangles go around our last boarding facility last spring too. It was NASTY and of course "D" got it worse than anyone. He had the swollen lymph nodes, draining, puss, and all that yucky junk. It took the better part of 3-4 months for him to finally get back to "normal". Glad your guys got better! It certainly is NO fun! Not to mention scary! :{

Tori Leslie said...

What a great blog you have, can't wait to read more oh and the horses are so pretty. °Ü°

Callie said...

The racoon is too cute. Eeeww, strangles, bad stuff, glad he pulled through!

Anonymous said...

Aww the raccoon (or "coon" as we would say here in Alabama- LOL) is too cute. The only experience we have had with "coons" was when a whole family came on our porch to get the cats food and almost killed the cat AND tried to come inside. NOT FUN!!!

Barn Duty ! What a trooper.....it's tough work. I know you are glad this winter is not like last year. I wouldn't wish strangles on anyone!!! ugh!!!

I love the pic of you and the grandbaby on Buddy though! Glad he is doing well! Lib's horse Betty is sore...say a prayer for her!

Carole Burant said...

Omigosh how precious that raccoon is in your chair! We've had raccoons hang around here too but they stayed up in the tree, not my patio chairs! lol

I remember coming home from school and my mom would be watching the tv series Peyton Place...I think I watched it a few times when there would be no school but I barely remember it at all. Ryan O'Neal acted in the series, didn't he? I do know my mom was quite addicted to it!! I don't think I've actually seen the movie though!

Wow, look at the size of them turkeys! I think it's so awesome how you have them coming to feed...not something we see around here! lol

Glad to hear that the horses are looking good even with the stable owner out of commission for a bit. Thank goodness she has you helping out also!

You can't go away next week...I'll miss you too much!!!! hehe I'm sure you'll have a fabulous time, though, and I will look forward to all the pictures:-) Love ya! xoxo

Myrna said...

Can't sleep so I'm catching up on some reading. Enjoyed your last several newsy posts!

Love that Camden! As a matter of fact, I have a post almost finished for Kellie's Show and Tell for today about some pottery I bought there. Hope to get it up later today--at a more decent hour. It's 2:25 a.m. now. I think I''l try again to sleep!