Monday, June 22, 2009

Rain, diets and VBS


Rain, rain go away. Come again some other day........remember that song? What are the rest of the words???




It's rainy, cold and windy. They are calling it a Nor'easter and I don't remember in my life time having one in the summer. I equate it with heavy snow, raw wind and freezing temps so this is my first ever Summer Nor'easter. Regardless it's very wet and sloppy out and I have to grab my chances between rainstorms to ride.



Quite a few of you asked how I was going to put Lil' Bud on a diet. (BTW Lil' Bud is called that because I already had Buddy when I bought him and it was confusing to have Bud and Buddy so he has always gone by Little Bud as he is a bit smaller then Buddy was.) Back to the diet. Horses are like people to lose weight you have to burn more calories then you take in so I have brought him home so that I can ride him 6 days a week and have cut his food intake down a bit.





He was getting way too much lush pasture time at the stable as there is a lot of pasture land there and not enough horses to keep it down especially with mine home in the summer. Also I am getting the low carb grain and giving him first cut hay rather then second cut as that has more calories. I had his thyroid checked in case he needed to go on Thyrol L but it had normal function. He by no means will be hungry but he won't get all the treats that are sugary just carrots. He was just getting way too much and didn't know when to stop plus is a bit older. Sounds like me. Sigh......






VBS started tonight at our church. This is the first time in years and years that I haven't worked in it in some capacity. I was going to be the photographer for the week but one of the high school gals wanted to do it so I felt it would be good for her. I hope the weather clears as there are lots of outdoor activities one being the water slide night. They kids love that and all bring their suits and towels for the big event.




I remember VBS when I was a child. Mom always was one of the workers and it was held during the day as there were lots of moms home back then. Now we have to have it in the evening so that we have enough help. We always marched in to the song Onward Christian Soldiers, did our crafts, had Bible stories, singing, snacks and Kool Aid. Of course there was play time where we always played dodge ball coming back in all sweaty but happy.




We went for two weeks back then, now it's just a week. We loved it and couldn't wait to start but I think the moms were pretty pooped by the end of the two weeks! The last day all of the crafts of the week were carefully put out on tables with each child's name beside his or her creations. We were proud as peacocks. The closing program was that night where we sang our songs and said our verses for our parents plus they ooo-ed and ahh-ed over each of our crafts which we brought home that night. Sure wish I had some pictures from back then, probably do somewhere in an old album, wish I could find them as I think it would be fun to show my grandkids how Grammie went to VBS just like they do. :o)

11 comments:

Needled Mom said...

My grands are in VBS this week too. They love it.

I think that cold weather we had on our trip has hit you guys. It was brutal with tons of moisture - rain and snow. Thanks, but I'll take summer now!!! How about you?

Good luck with Lil Bud's diet and exercise program. With all the rain, it will be difficult. I know that you will enjoy the riding. Does he have to go in weekly for his weight check????

I hope it dries out for you soon and you can enjoy some of that warmer weather. Have a good week. xox

Renie Burghardt said...

Hmmm, let me see, "rain, rain, go away, come again some other day, all the children want to play." If there is more, that is all I remember of it.

Oh, my, how about an exchange? I'll send you some of our 99 degree, sunny weather in exchange for a bit of cooler and rainier weather. We're really frying around here! But my zucchini and cukes and green beans are doing great, although no ripe tomatoes yet. I picked some earlier, in the cool of the morning.

Gee, I didn't know high carbs will put the weight on horses, just like on people. Hope Lil Bud will lose the weight. Eating low carb is how I keep my weight down. LOL.

VBS is always fun. I know my younger granddaughters enjoy it.

Hope it warms up in Maine. Have a great week!

Huggies,

Renie xox

One Gray Hair At A Time said...

I too will trade hot weather for your rain...please send it to California - C.O.D. I will be waiting not so patiently...lol

palmtreefanatic said...

we have only done VBS i think once, i guess we get so busy we dont think about it, and our church is so small we dont do this...Its a wonderful thing though and wish we did!

wow so much rain there eh? keep it! I am loving the almost 90 degree heat today and hope to get to the pool tomorrow as it will be as hot or hotter! YEAH! I love to sunbathe and yet to do this year yet...too busy!

Well hugs to you! and hope the diet works on lil bud!

Carole Burant said...

Well my goodness, you're going to have to build an ark pretty soon! I can't get over all the rain you've been getting while here it's been so hot and sunny. I've had to go out in the early morning to water all my flowers and the veggie garden and then again in the evening. The only rain predicted is on Sunday so we'll see if it happens! lol

I need to go on a diet with Lil Bud..sigh! I hope it all goes well for him and that you're able to get him to lose weight:-)

I had never heard about VBS until I started blogging so I'm thinking we don't have that around here? lol Maybe they call it something else here, I don't know. All I do know is that it's not something my brothers or I ever attended, nor have I heard anyone mentioning it around here. It does sound like a wonderful time is had by all, though...even though the moms are exhausted by the end of the week! lol

Well I need to go to the supermarket and get some groceries...the cupboards and pantry are full but you know...there's nothing to eat in the house!!! Love you! xoxoxo

Carole Burant said...

Oops, forgot to let you know the full saying of that verse....

Rain, rain, go away
Come again some other day
We want to go outside and play
Come again some other day

Mrs. Mom said...

HI MM!!!! LOL Yeah, it has been nutso insane around here lately, and we have roasted. In all honesty, I can not tell you HOW we manage to work in that ;) I just know that we pull it off.. somehow! (We pay later though... by the time we get home, we're ALL ready to sit on the couch and drool on ourselves...)

The link:
http://www.grandcircuitinc.com/products.asp?cat=57

I like the Gel form for preventative. If you have deep thrush that gets WAY up in the cleft of the frog, go for the soak. Might be a pain, but worth it in the long run!

Have LOADS of fun riding!!! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that LB's weight loss program works!!!

Mucho Hugeo Hugs to you all!! ~MM

hippo chick said...

Hi, It's me again. We're doing the same VBS. I'm really getting nervous. I know everyone involved is so dedicated and committed, but I still worry. When you are the Director, that's where the buck stops. Prayers would be appreciated.

~hippo hugs~

Dawn said...

Your VBS memories are exactly like mine - we do seem to have a lot in common in our childhood memories. Our church has it at night, too, but I really like daytime - the grand girls have been to 2 already which were 9-12. Made nice mornings for Mommy and me! And they had a great time. It's not the same, though, with canned music instead of the good old songs. Oh, well.

The rain - crazy! Poor Kev. I can't imagine what they're doing - probably fund raising outside Wally World in the Nor'easter!

Dawn said...

PS - I posted a new one just as you were commenting on the last one.

Dawn said...

I have a kitty picture on the new post that you'll love to see.