Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Vacation Part 1

We arrived in the sunny south on our direct flight (yeah!) about 4 Saturday afternoon. These no frill flights are just what they are, no frills. No pillows, no blankets, no free snacks or soda and the seats don't recline! It was a direct flight and that made up for everything. I am not an airport person. I HATE long layovers. Plus living on the edge of nowhere we don't get a lot to pick from as far as flights are concerned so when this airline came to our little airport with a direct flight to
Florida we were happy campers.



It was a delightful trip down, the grands are seasoned flyers so are happy to draw, watch a movie on an Ipod or snooze. I like to put my Ipod on, close my eyes and just relax, if I sleep I would probably snore or drool or both so I try not to. :o( It never ceases to amaze me how the pilot can land such a huge plane with hardly a bump but this one did so and we all applauded.



We picked up our van and headed towards Orlando to our hotel, the Portafino Bay. It is like an old Italian village and if you want to see how beautifully they have created this illusion just google it. I'll have pictures to post when I get home but can't download them on the laptop. Well, probably can but I don't know how.



We had dinner at one of the Italian restaurants here that is kid friendly and there was a wonderful buffet where we all ate too much and felt such remorse as we waddled to our rooms.....



We hit Universal Studio the next day where we were pounded, thrashed, twirled and spun in all directions on the various rides. I do NOT do roller coasters and am totally content to sit on the sidelines while the rest do their thing. The crowds weren't bad at all, which is one of the reasons that we like to come here in October.

Last evening we had a nice dinner at Johnny Bahamas. We are making a real effort to eat good meals while we are here and not all the theme park junk and it is paying off as we feel much better for it. We did some shopping and they had a Chico's so I was in hog heaven. We have to come back down here in two weeks for a convention so I picked up some dress clothes. That trip will be much harder to pack for with functions to attend every night. I much prefer this type of trip where you just pack casual things.

We spent today at the pool. I can't wait to show you the pictures of the pool area as it is amazing. It's like an Italian grotto with waterfalls and a water slide. I brought my Miracle suit, you know the suits that are supposed to take ten pounds off you. Well the miracle is that I could fit into it........ahem........there will be no pictures. Enough said.

There were lots of activities for T and D to participate in at the pool which was nice. Hoola hoop contests, treasure hunts, marco polo and then a cannon ball competition. Even though this is not a Disney resort it's very kid friendly. They also made sand castles while DIL and I soaked up some sun plus we had a nice lunch. Salads and turkey sandwiches.

Guess that's it for now. Will add more in a day or so and will put pictures in when I get home. I am going through graphics withdrawal as I can't access them on this computer. :o(

15 comments:

Nonnas News said...

I'm glad your having fun on your vacation! My husband and I just got back from ours. We went to Gatlinburg,TN. It was beautiful!

Carole Burant said...

I'm pouting here because I'm not over there with you!!! Sounds like you are all having such a fun time and I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures:-) Doesn't it make a big difference when you eat healthier while on vacation? Steve & I tried to do that too this time and we just felt better because of it. Didn't feel like stuffed pigs all the time! lol We did have a couple of treats at the Pumpkin Farm but that was special:-)

Would you believe we had snow flurries here this morning? The high today was 32F!!! I hope I'm not going to be making a snowman before Halloween again this year! So, enjoy the Florida sunshine and heat while you can:-)

Keep having fun and make sure you stay out of trouble!! hehe Love you! xoxoxo

Needled Mom said...

Sounds like you are thoroughly enjoying yourself -- as you should.

I am so glad that you got a nonstop flight. I know how you appreciate that.

The hotel sounds wonderful and I can imagine the kids are having a blast in that pool. A swimsuit??? You are braver than I, my friend. Just watch that sun!

Looking forward to seeing the photos when you return. Have fun. xox

Alice Grace said...

I know you are having a wonderful time! I love Italian foods, so I envy you that experience, and of course Chico's! Have fun!

Susie said...

I'm glad you took an afternoon off for some relaxing time to yourself. It is a vacation!
All that walking can be exhausting in the parks!
Looking forward to all your pictures!!
love you,
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Our family went to Florida 4 years ago and we had so much fun! We are a theme park family and we hit them all. I hope you have as much fun as we did!

Linds said...

It sounds like you are having a wonderful time in the sun! I have to say that the miracle around here would actually be owning a swimsuit. I shudder at the thought of what I woudl look like. Sigh.

Have a wonderful time !

Kerri said...

Lucky you to be in sunny, warm FL while we're feeling like winter here today, and expecting snow flurries!
Your no-frills flight description had me chuckling..and the swimsuit too....LOL
I'm glad you're having such a fun and relaxing time...enjoying your family.
I've just caught up on all your recent activities and am sorry to hear about your mom's recent health problems. Glad to hear she's on the mend now.
Soak up some of that sunshine for us!

palmtreefanatic said...

glad to hear you are enjoying yourselves! Can't wait to see the pics! Have fun!;)

Callie said...

I wish I was in warm sunny Florida! I'm jealous!

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

Sounds glorious! We are here with snow and rain....I am soooo jealous! Can't wait to see lots of pictures.

Nancy said...

I am trying to catch up a little bit at a time.

Sounds like you are having a great time! Can't beat the Florida weather this time of year. Anxious to see all your great pics when you return!

Have fun!!! So nice that you all could go together!!!

(((((( HUGS ))))))

hippo chick said...

Sounds great!! Am anxious to see the pictures.

~hippo hugs~

Dawn said...

Sounds wonderful - and with or without graphics is okay! Bathing suits - EEK!! I have one I bought so many years ago I can't even remember. I put it on once in Hawaii 10 years ago - none this last time. Not gonna happen! Never ever.

Eating was a problem on our trip - in that I did too much of it. It was all good stuff, just too much of a good thing. And oh, yah, the candy bars at all the gas stations! I never do that at home!

I could really like a plane where the seats don't recline - I get so claustrophobic when people are in my lap.

The W.O.W. factor! said...

What a wonderful vacation you all had! The pictures tell it all! Memories to share forever!
Have never been to FL. Weather sounds great...but hurricanes would scare me...
Have a great weekend!