Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Fall, foliage and fun!

Yesterday started off with a bang. Or should I say a snap, crackle and pop! No, I wasn't eating Rice Krispies I ran over the extension cord running to my tree on the front lawn with the lawn mower! I have a tree that is perfect for decorating with Christmas lights in the winter and little orange lights during October. I knew the cord was there but thought it was laying flat enough to go over but WRONG! There were pieces of cord flying everywhere and I'm lucky I didn't light up like a light bulb! So much for my nice 50 foot outdoor extension cord.......


Mom had a better day yesterday. They have started her therapy again as the blood clots are dissolving. It is very tiring for her but so good to speed up her recovery and to come home! She can move around more by herself on the bed and even sit on the edge of the bed unassisted which is a big step forward! Today is her birthday so we are going to try to make it special for her!


We had 51 here on Sunday night for the second hay ride! There were kids everywhere! We had pizza and smores plus I made a triple batch of spiced cider for everyone.


The horses thought we put all that hay out on the trailer just for them so spent the afternoon chowing down!



Oh smores are sooooooooo good!



My niece Ana played the guitar for some praise and worship songs out by the campfire.



We love having all the kids come over as some of them live in the city and never get a chance to see horses up close or go on a hayride. I'm going to try to find a real hay wagon before next year, I think that would be more fun then using the beaver tail trailer.


Hubby and I decided to go for a little ride out on the carriage trails one afternoon. I'm the gate opener and picture taker.


The road is blanketed with pine spills that have dropped from the trees.



We still have some pretty good foliage color but it's going fast and with rain predicted for tomorrow it won't last long.



I especially love this burnt orange color.


We were hoping to see the doe with her twin lambs so that I could get a picture for you but they weren't around. Just got these hoof prints that are everywhere out there.





Don't know what kind of berries these are but I think I will try making a wreath out of them for the front door at Christmas time.




We love our carriage roads through the woods. There's usually some kind of wildlife to see along the way.




Guess that's it for today. Headed up to the stable this morning to ride Little Bud. The ponies will be headed up on Friday as we leave on Saturday for vacation for a week. It will be hard coming home and not having them here but they are only 5 minutes away and I know I have to do this every winter so I should get used to it. (But I don't!)

16 comments:

Linds said...

What fun the kids must have had! The photos are beautiful - the autumn colours are superb, and I can just imagine how peaceful it must be to be in the woods. I do love autumn...

Izzy, Emmy 'N Alexander said...

I know I say it over and over, but I have to say it again; you live in the most beautiful place!!! I seriously have to make a trip to that area of the state.

The foliage is going fast here too. Lots of brown and crunchy leaves already and we have had rain for 3 days. I'm not complaining; it's not ice!

I am glad to see Mom is doing better each day! Happy Birthday!!

Have a great week!

Donna. W said...

Peaceful, beautiful pictures. Obviously you are enjoying this season.

hippo chick said...

How nice that you can have the kids come to your place. Looks like they had fun.

Love the foliage pics.

~hippo hugs~
Pam

Abba's Girl said...

I saw your icon on Nancy's blog and wanted to stop by and say hello. Your pictures are beautiful. I love fall, though we don't experience it where I live. I am fortunate and have vacationed in the CO and TN during fall and seen amazing views of God's creation. Blessings to you.

kdwhorses said...

What fun! The kids looked like they had a great time! Horses were happy with there hay treat! LOL!!

Love the fall colors as well! Just beautiful there!

Susie said...

Looks like such a fun time for all the kids. What a gorgeous area to see the fall colors. It must be so very peaceful out there in the woods.
Happy Birthday to your Mom. Glad she's doing better.
love you!
xo

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

Yikes...you are lucky you didn't light up like a Christmas tree!

How great of you to host all those kids for an awesome evening!

Train Wreck said...

Oh I enjoyed my "ride" Great tour photos! How fun to have hay rides! You do live in a gorgeous place!
I am happy to hear your mom is doing better! Hopefully everyday she will get stromger! Happy Birthday!! Did you get anything fantastic?? Pictures we need pictures!!

Needled Mom said...

Bet you hate taking the boys back for the winter. It will be good timing for you though.

The colors are so pretty. It definitely says "autumn" to me. It looks like it was a great ride.

The kids all look like they are having so much fun. Those smores do look yummy!

Happy birthday to your mom. Have a safe trip.

KC said...

Happy birthday to your mom, i"m glad she is coming along, will continue to keep her in my prayers.
I love all the pics of your and hubbys ride and the hayride pics looks like so much fun.

Callie said...

Don't you just love autumn?! Hay rides and smores! Sounds like a blast!

Linda said...

What beautiful photos. I'd sure make a wreath out of those berry branches.

Mrs. Mom said...

Midlife Mom, I just love stopping in here. The fall foliage there was beautiful!

Wicked glad that you are OK after the cord V lawn mower episode. Wow. Not nice!!

Spiced cider.. mmmm... sounds yummy!!

I know how you feel not having the ponies at home. But hopefully Spring will be around again soon, and they can come back home to you!

And GO MOM!! Hope she continues to heal up FAST and STRONG!!!

Marcy said...

I can't wait to see the wreaths you are planning to make!

Nancy said...

Such fun for so many kids!!! You are so nice to host this for them!!! I just know that they had a blast on the hayride! I remember those myself! Enjoyed all the pics! The ride through the woods looked just wonderful!!! Pretty area you live in there.

(((((( HUGS ))))))