Sunday, November 9, 2008

Leaving On a Jet Plane---NOT!

Well I'm back in the land of the living. I think. I'm supposed to be at a convention in Palm Beach Florida this week but that kind of got cancelled......I have pneumonia! Yep, can you believe it? I went to the doctor on Tuesday as I wasn't feeling great and knowing Mom was coming home and we had this trip to get ready for I thought I should get checked and see what was going on. Well my doctor was full so they put me in with some one else and he said I had a virus, nothing they could do until it developed into bronchitis which I have a tendancy for and then they would put me on an antibiotic. It didn't sound right but what do you do, you can't make them do anything.

Anyhow things did get worse very quickly and I couldn't even go to the Rehab to spring Mom on Thursday or make the wonderful homecoming dinner that I had planned as I was right in bed. Dad brought her home but I didn't dare go near her as I was hacking so badly and didn't want her to catch anything from me.

Anyway Friday rolled around and we made the decision (or should I say it was made for us) that we would not be going on our business trip back to Florida. I tried to get Hubby to go without me but he didn't want to do that and it worked out just as well anyway as he spent Firday night at the hospital with me! When he got home from work that night he thought I should go into the ER but I didn't want to, it was cold, rainy and I felt awful and didn't want to get out. By 8:30 I was having some trouble breathing off and on so off to the hospital we went.

Thankfully it's wasn't horribly busy as it can sometimes be so the wait wasn't too long. Actually they got me right in and put me on a nebulizer even before a doc was ready even though I had to lay on a gurney in a hallway! lol! I didn't care, that felt so good to have those airways opened up again!

When the doc came in and checked me out he found the fluid in my right lung but wanted to take an x-ray just to double check and then put me on IV fluids, IV antibiotics, something for the pain and something for the horrible cough. To make a long story short we got home about 2 the next morning but I'm sure glad I went in as things were going downhill so quickly.

Yesterday I was in bed all day but today I feel quite a bit better so have been up and around some. It's going to take a while and they said I have to R>E>S>T or no amount of antibiotics will clear it up. If it had been any worse they were going to admit me so I was glad I could come home to recoup. This is the first time I have been on the computer in about five days so I am really behind and it will take me all week to get caught up but I will!!!

Mom got home. It was exhausting as we knew it would be but she is glad to be in her own home with Dad and Buffy. The nurses come in three times per week and the physical therapy people come in three times per week. She is getting around quite well and I even washed and set her hair today. She tires easily but that is to be expected, we are just so glad to have her home with us again!

Son just called, he went to a Patriot's-Bull's game today in Massachusetts with some of his customers. They had just landed back in Bangor and he was headed for home. They had a great time, the Pat's won, so it was a good day all the way around.

Guess that's it for tonight but I wanted to let you know what was going on.


Donna said...

I wondered where you'd been! Please take care of yourself.

Dawn said...

I knew something had to be up! Glad you went in and got some help before it got even worse. We had our hospital experience last week and it's not a place for the faint of heart or body!

Take care of yourself!!

Needled Mom said...

Oh my dear!!!! I am so glad that you went and got things checked out. It is really too bad that you had to miss seeing your own doctor as it is much better to get those antibiotics BEFORE things go south. You do have such a tendency to get that and you have been burning the candle at both ends lately.

I'm so glad that your mom is doing so well. It must be so nice for everyone to have her home despite the fact that you could not celebrate appropriately.

You take care of yourself and make sure that you get the prescribed R-E-S-T!!!! I know how hard that will be for you, my friend.

Hugs (without germs).

Tammy said...

Oh, wow...I'm so sorry you got SO sick and had to miss your trip!
I had pneumonia once- before I was even married and just in my 20's. I was working as a preschool teacher, and like you, I had gone into the doctor once but they said they couldn't really give me anything then... when I went back to work, it got worse I felt so cruddy that I went back to the doctor and he discovered fluid in my right lung. I remember he told me the same, rest, and then rest some more. Also to drink as much plain water as I could each day.
So remember, that even when you think you're feeling better, keep resting until you get the all-clear!

Linds said...

I wondered what had happened to you! I am so glad you are feelign better now - that must have bee really frightening. And the business trip can wait. You can't!

kdwhorses said...

Oh my goodness! Wondered what had happened! Glad you are on the road to recovery!

Callie said...

Oooh, gosh! I hope you're feeling better soon!

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

Bummer! Sounds like you had a rough week! Glad to hear that you are on the mend and RESTING!

Train Wreck said...

Yes I am happy to hear you are back on track! Please take your time and get some rest.

KC said...

UGH UGH UGH... sorry you were so sick, glad your on the mend.. I have had a nasty awful cough for two weeks now and this weekend it hit me like a ton of bricks.. I was so sick.. but today I seem to have some life back to me. I guess I should go see a doctor if I'm still hacking though ~sigh~

hippo chick said...

OMIGOSH! You poor thing. I'm so glad you went to the ER when you did. I hope you are feeling lots better soon.

Glad your Mom is home.

As for the Pats/Bills, we are sad down here in Upstate NY.

~hippo hugs~

PEA said...

Oh you poor thing:-( Do I have to go over there and take care of you??? hehe I'm so glad you decided to go to the ER to get checked just can't fool around with pneumonia!

Glad to hear your mom is now home...I'm sure she will recover that much more quickly now:-)

Please take good care of yourself and you'd better REST or you'll have me to answer to! I sound so mean eh? lol Love you my friend. xoxox

Broken Y said...

Dropped in off of Trainwreck's blog! So glad that you are slowly on the mend. Saying a quick prayer that patience will be a virtue for you during this process!


Mikey said...

Get better soon!!!

Renie Burghardt said...

Oh, my goodness, I didn't know you were so under the weather! I am glad you finally went to ER and got help. Thank the Good Lord you are getting better, and that your Mom is home and improving as well.

Take real good care!

Hugs and prayers,


sarah said...

Praying for you! Wow. Sorry to hear about all that. Take care.

Alice Grace said...

I am so sorry you have been so sick, and when your Mom was coming home at same time! Please take care!

Nancy said...

Sounds like you were one mighty sick gal!!! So glad your hubby took you to the ER when he did.

I'm sure your mom understood about the homecoming can fix that when you are better. She is probably tickled pink to be home, period. She had quite a long siege of being away from home. At least you can lay around and watch TV together and get well.

I am reading on....

(((((( HUGS ))))))

The W.O.W. factor said...

Oh I hope you are past the worst of it! Pneumonia is never a good thing to have. Sounds like you are improving~just remember to REST and REST somemore!
~Think I'll wait on my visit 'til you're 100% better! :)

Izzy 'N Emmy said...

I've missed so much! I am so sorry you have sick. I hope you are starting to be your old self again. We are sending you lots of hugs!!