It's been a rather eventful few days. We got a call from my brother and SIL who were going to spend the weekend at our lake house that the furnace had gone off at some point, the pipes had frozen and as the pump was on water has been gushing into the house for weeks and weeks. As he was telling me about it I could feel my legs getting rather rubbery feeling so I plunked down in the nearest chair.
After calling my insurance company I spent the afternoon answering calls and questions as to what had happened. Today we went down and it is just unbelievable. The upstairs doesn't look as bad as the basement, which used to be a playroom, bathroom and laundry room before the whole ceiling caved in on it.
As you can see the ceiling fell down onto everything and it was soaking wet.
This is my dresser and it is totally covered with mold. The wooden basket is one that my grandfather made for me many years ago. I don't know if it can be saved or not. I tried opening the drawers and the mirror fell off the wall onto my head as the sheetrock was all wet and couldn't support it.
This is a basket that is hanging in the pantry covered with mold.
These are the steps going down into the basement totally covered with slippery mold.
This is the back door going into the basement covered with ice.
This ice is under the deck, the water came out around where the fireplace goes.
So you can see we have quite a mess on our hands. The upstairs doesn't look as bad but it has mold, water, the cupboards, counters, floors, rugs, furniture, everything is ruined. The only reason it doesn't look as bad is because it doesn't have a sheet rock ceiling it's a cathedral ceiling so nothing fell down. The windows won't open, the sliding glass doors out onto the deck are warped, the screens have all popped out of the windows and are on the ground, the new kitchen floor is ruined, the rug in the living room and bedroom is so saturated with water you had to wear rubber boots or you got your feet wet.
We took what things we could salvage like some of my quilts and wall hangings and they are now in the washer. Also took some pictures hoping they will dry out and some things that were handmade that mean a lot to us. Most pictures are all warped and ruined but the stove and refrigerator look like they are okay. The biggest problem is going to be the mold. The M word. The water went into the walls so the insulation must be saturated and will have to come out.
Anyhow, that's the way that is. It's like a tidal wave came through the basement leaving all manner of debris in its wake. The beds upstairs are all wet, mattresses etc.. We'll have to have a dumpster the size of New Jersey to haul everything off. But you know, after getting over the initial shock of it I couldn't help but be thankful that the phone call hadn't been something much worse. A cottage can be replaced. Things in it can be replaced. I'm just thankful that it wasn't a call about one of my family members being hurt or sick or whatever!
So onto better things. Last night was the Father/Daughter Valentines dance. Son and Miss T always attend and have a great time going out to dinner and then on to the dance with all the other Dads and their kiddos in town. I only got a couple of pictures so I hope Son got some at the actual event.
Guess I'd better go pick through some more stuff and see what I can salvage. The quilts came out fine. They had not molded yet, were just wet. It's going to be a big job but there will be lots of help and I will get to be bossy. :o)