Monday, September 28, 2009

Pumpkins, Soccer and Fall.




It's been one of those absolutely delicious fall days here in Maine. The sun has been shining, the temps mild but not hot and with rain last night everything is green and dewy looking. I rode Lil' (Little Bud) Bud and he went like a well oiled machine for me in the ring. He is such a good horse and wants to please. His ears are always up and forward, eager to go. I only rode about 25 minutes and then cooled him out and took him for a walk down the back road to a field that has some nice clover in it. He snarfed that down as fast as he could and then we walked back to the barn and I hosed him off with nice warm water, well except his feet, I always do those first with cold water and work my way up. We've had some hunters on our property so I am a little nervous about going too far out in the woods now.


Carol Anne over at Carol Anne's Boutique is having a wonderful give away with all kinds of pretty fun things. Take a hop on over and sign up, maybe you'll be the one to win! Of course then you will have to share with me! Not really, but it sounds good. :o)



Saturday morning we went to Mr. D's soccer game. You've all heard the term that it's like herding cats, well this was about like that! It was so much fun watching all the little squirts learning how to play and putting their all into it. Some times they kicked the ball into the wrong net but were praised for having a good kick. They don't keep score as this is an instructional league.


These pictures are in backwards as I am still having my Blogger issues..........grrrrrrrrr......... This shot is when the game was over and they were all saying "good game" to the other team.


Getting ready to play goalie. Is that what you call it in soccer? I have a lot to learn as Son played football not soccer.



Miss T was doing some handstands on the sidelines and wanted me to get a picture! Is that nice and straight or what?! Now I want all of you to do one along with me.........



Good kick and it was going in the right direction!




Me and Miss T. Once again I have porta potties in the background! Sigh.......
That is her other grandparents to the right, Mimi and Bampie.






After the game Miss T had a birthday party to go to so D came home with us. We had some lunch and then decided we would go out and get some pumpkins. They aren't as plentiful this year, the man at the veggie stand told us that half the crop was lost due to all of the rain we had in June and July.






It's hard work picking out just the right ones!

The trunk was full! :o)









Saturday is our Paws On Parade fund raiser that we have each year for the Humane Society. We have been working on it for months and I think we have all of our ducks in a row plus are just keeping our fingers crossed that we don't get rained out like we did last year. We had it a couple weeks later so all was not lost but when you are already to go it's disappointing when you have to postpone. We have lots more to do there this year with more vendors and more demonstrations. I will be there, camera in hand ready to catch all of the excitement on film! :0)


After that we will be getting into Disney mode. We can't wait to head down to Florida with the kids, grand kids and DIL's family. We are all staying at the same resort right next door to each other so that will make it much easier. There will be 13 of us going together this year. My camera will be just a clicking for ten days!


The farrier was here tonight to do Little Bud's feet. He didn't have to patch his hoof this time! (doing the VERY happy dance!) He broke a big chunk out last month and had to have some bondo put on to fill it in. It stayed in place perfectly which was nice. I didn't know he was coming but looked out the kitchen window and the lights were all on in the barn and there was his truck.


I made a pumpkin pie today out of a different brand of pumpkin, Libbies, and it was excellent. If I didn't know the difference I wouldn't have known. I still like my One Pie brand but if you can't get it you go with next best. Everyone is scrambling for their pumpkin this year due to the shortage. It just wouldn't be Thanksgiving without a pumpkin pie now would it?!

12 comments:

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

You sure do some fun things with the Grands....you are one awesome grandma!

Needled Mom said...

You guys certainly look bundled up for the soccer match! We were heavy into the sunscreen at the kids matches last Saturday.

I'm glad the Libbeys brand worked for you. I have kept my eye open for the One Pie here, but I don't think we carry it out here. All I have ever used is the Libbey.

Good luck this weekend. I will be thinking about you....no rain....no rain....no rain!!!!!

Paula said...

What a fun day! Brrrrr! I knew I should have grown my own pumpkins!

hippo chick said...

Ohhh, pumpkin pie. We are really working hard on losing some weight and all those things sound so good to me.

Love these wonderful fall pictures. I haven't bought any mums, but may venture out today or tomorrow to pick some up. I'm still nursing my geraniums along.

I love the soccer pictures even though I have no understanding of the game (football either). My girls didn't play sports so I'm just lost when it comes to these games. I did attend some games for friends' kids, but just cheered when everyone else in our section did.

We've had an extraordinary September, just perfect fall weather. However, we are in the midst of some rather cool, rainy weather. Jim is downstairs walking of the treadmill instead of being outdoors. I know I need to go down later, but I don't like it much.

I think we're off to a movie this afternoon. A good thing to do on a cold rainy afternoon.

I don't "envy" you the Disney trip exactly, just would like to do that with my kids too. I know you'll have a great time.

Once again, I have gone on and on.
Have a great day and week.

~hippo hugs~

Carol Anne's Boutique said...

Great pictures of your grandchildren playing soccer! I remember going to my boy's baseball and basketball games. Can't wait to have grandcildren some day, you are blessed!

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and for including my giveaway in your post! More chances to win, Yay, Good Luck!
Hugs, Carol Anne

Dawn said...

I keep hearing about the pumpkin shortage - it's affecting the availability of canned pumpkin in our grocery stores around here.

Soccer - Kev did two seasons a year from 3rd grade until high school, when he was on the high school team. I wish he'd kept it up, because I really think it was part of his slide when he quit. DC always talking about how fun it was to watch them when they were little and all running around together in a bunch before they learned their place.

As for herding cats - that's what I call it when I try to get the littles to go the same direction at the same time.

I think I started visiting you when you were at Disney World with the kids, probably 3 years ago. Isn't that amazing?

I'm still hoping to get out there. I need to call the leaders to find out when would be best for them. When will you be home?

Sharon said...

Those are great photos of the soccer game. He is such a cutie.
I don't know that much about the game either.
My sons did not play soccer.
Wish I was going to DLand with you but it sounds like you already have a full crew.Darn.
God bless

sue said...

We did a family trip like that to disney maybe 6 years ago, my parents, my two sisters, my neice and our kids...

it was great fun and one of those memories that you will have forever..

hope your trip there will be amazing....

Partners In Prayer for Our Prodigals said...

I LOVE this post! Makes me feel like celebrating FALL!

Diane

Andrea said...

What fun soccer pictures! It looks so chilly there!! And what a wonderful trip to the pumpkin patch!! We can't go this early or ours will rot!! hahahaha!

Carole Burant said...

Oh dear, I can see why you wouldn't want to go too far while riding if there are hunters on your property!! Please do be careful my friend!

I so loved seeing all the pictures from the soccer game...D looks like he's having a great time:-) Like you, I love seeing little ones learn how to play a sport like that. T sure does do a straight handstand...she reminds me of my little next door neighbour Amanda, always doing handstands:-) I used to be able to do those...a long time ago...ok, a veryyyy long time ago! hehe

D must have loved picking out pumpkins with you:-) I was at the grocery store today and I noticed they finally have some in. I'm waiting to get mine, though, because the weekend before Halloween Steve & I are going away and we'll be visiting a pumpkin farm so I'll get mine there. Nope, not going to Niagara Falls this time! LOL

Make that 14 going to Disneyland...I'm coming too!! Hmmmm, wish it was that easy! lol You're going to have so much fun...without me...waaaaaaaaaaa!!! I know, suck it up buttercup, right? lol

Now pass me some of that pumpkin pie please.....Love you my friend. xoxoxox

palmtreefanatic said...

I think you are always doing such fun things with the grandkiddos!
Wow! They will have treasured memories! Those pumpkins look GREAT!
Pumpkin pie sounds wonderful as does pumpkin rolls etc!;)I only ever used Libbey's, never tempted the stuff from scratch....

You got some GREAT soccer photos, and Soccer is good for kids, we quit taking kedric to soccer practice as it is on Tuesday nights at 7pm it gets so dark (&cold)around 7:05 ugh I guess they refuse to change it! love the hand stand, don't know if I could actually do THAT anymore!

I want to go to Disney!
We were planning to go to Florida next summer then hubby decided to come clean and drop the bomb that he's he's $11 grand in debt, been so sick to my stomach!!! I guess no vacation in our fututre, and that van I been saving for! UGH!!!

Well hope all is going well with you, sad I have to get up at 5am to read some posts;)
do you have Facebook?