Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Will I ever catch up?

Why is it when you get back from a trip it seems like you’re behind on everything here at home?  I have been playing catch up for a week and this is the first time I have had a chance to sit down at my computer to try to put a few coherent words together.  :o)


It was well worth it though, we had such a nice time in the big city.  There is just so much to see and you can’t even begin to see it all in four days even if you are going full tilt like we were.  We hope to get back again to take the kiddos to a few more shows as there are several playing that would be great for them like Mary Poppins and Peter Pan.


This leads me to our Jersey Boy Show experience which wasn’t quite so pleasant.  I know there are a lot of you out there that grew up listening to the Four Seasons singing their wonderful ballads and fun songs like I did.  Squeaky clean lyrics which was the way it was in the 50’s.  Non of the trash talk and innuendo which is so prevalent today.


I guess I am very naive as when I booked the tickets for this show I didn’t even give it a thought that there might be some inappropriate content so when the evening came we were all very excited as we took our seats.  I had been playing Four Seasons music in my car for a few weeks and telling T and D this was what we were going to hear only in person so they were excited about going.


The show started innocently enough with some great dancers and singers doing the prelude to the show and it was all very exciting.  When the show started it was fun and was telling how the Four Seasons got together back in Jersey.  Then things started going downhill fast as the language got coarse and frankly nasty.  We quickly got up to leave trying to get our 8 and 9 year old grand kids out of there as fast as possible.


Yes, I know kids hear things on the bus.  Yes, I know they hear things on the playground at school that aren’t appropriate but dog gone it as their grandparents we aren’t going to expose them to it at a Broadway show that’s supposed to be a fun family night out!!!!!


Was I upset, yes. Very. The ushers kept asking us why we were leaving, evidently they see nothing wrong with children hearing four letter words and more.  Was there anything in the BroadwayShows.com that gave any indication that this was not a child friendly show, no.  Did we get our money back, no, stupid question.  Their solution was to ditch the kids and come back.  Sigh……..  Why ruin a perfectly good show with this kind of content?  There was no need of it, there was enough good content in this story of four young men that became a very popular group for many, many years.  We didn’t get to hear ONE Four Seasons song.


Okay, rant over but not to be forgotten.


On to more exciting things here on the Range.  I turned 60 a few days ago…….sigh…..when did that happen?!  :o)  I thought only old people were 60. ha!


The kids came over to celebrate and brought a pretty cake with enough frosting to put the whole town into a coma but boy was it ever good!!! I hate to admit it but I ate more then my share…..


Louise Birthday 005
They had made cards for me and in one was a gift card to JoAnn Fabric and in the other was one to TJ Maxx.  Yay!  I have already made a trip to TJ Maxx and put the card towards some new cushions for my porch furniture.  It was burning a hole in my pocket!


They brought pizza and breadsticks from my favorite pizza place which always hits the spot and then we played UNO.  It was a fun evening.



Louise Birthday 007




I had a package arrive on my birthday from Miss Pea at Pea’s Corner!! That was good timing all the way from Ontario!!! It had my favorite fairy on the paper, Tinkerbelle! :o)


Louise Birthday 028
Inside was a wonderful wind chime in the shape of a horse which certainly goes with the decor around here!!
Louise Birthday 031
Also a sweet Willow Tree friendship figurine that touched my heart.  :o)   I love the bouquet of flowers that she is holding.  Thank you dear Pea, you have been such a wonderful friend to me over the past four years! You are so kind and thoughtful to everyone and we WILL meet in person one day!!!!!  xoxoxo
Louise Birthday 030


Dad and I just tried to go for our morning walk but only made it about half way as it started sleeting.  The bits of ice were bouncing off our heads and getting bigger all the time so we turned around and came back to the house.  They are expecting 6 to 8 inches of snow further north where my niece and husband live!!!!!!! YIKES, will spring ever get warm?!!!

15 comments:

Needled Mom said...

I know what you mean about catching up. It never seems to happen.

What a shame that you were not able to enjoy the Jersey Boys, but I can understand not wanting the children to hear it. I had forgotten there was the bad language in it until I asked E if it was in ours. I guess I got so wrapped up in the music that I missed it.

Welcome to the 60s!! They will be as wonderful as the 50s. You're only old if you feel that way. Pea's gifts were just lovely. Isn't she a sweetie?

Is that a new header on your blog? It won't be long now until the boys are back home and enjoying the pasture once again.

Have fun as you continue to play catch up. xox

Dawn said...

That is just maddening about the concert!! And that the ushers didn't understand why you were leaving - sad world we live in.

So you're catching up with me - well, not really, but you're in the same decade now!

Wow, you get such neat stuff from Pea!

Glad you had such a good birthday - I know how hard it is to catch up after a trip.

And spring - well, I know what'll happen here. It'll diddle around with the yucky weather, the flowers will be beautiful anyway, ad suddenly it'll be summer - just like that. Spring is such a joke around here.

Kev is in NY somewhere, on a retreat at Camp Champion. Hope it's not frigid there! He was baptized in the lake there several years ago - I told him he should re-do it, but he said it's too cold!

Sharon said...

Well happy birthday to you and your evening sounded wonderful/
I can understand your feeling about kids at a bad concert. There is way to much of it in this day and age.
I guess that I am a old fuddy.
What a wonderful friend that Ms Pea is for sure.
Have a Happy Easter.

Ms Martyr said...

Happy Birthday! I'm only a year behind you.
I'd be angry about the show also if I was taking young children along and there was no previous indication that it might not be suitable. Of course every now and then I'm surprised at the language that slips by on "regular" television shows.
I was watching "Chuck" last week and he was facing a life or death situation on the basis of an Uno game. It was pretty funny.
I've never been to New York and probably will never get there so have really enjoyed the recounting of your trip.

Mrs. Mom said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!! 60? Are you *sure* about that?? You don't look it, act it, or in any way seem it to me!!!!!! Miss Pea sure is a wonderful woman with great taste!!

I'm so sorry that the show turned out to be a dud. It is such a shame--- there was such potential for that to be an amazing show too.

LoVe the new header!!!!!!!

Big loves to you all up there. I'd gladly send you some heat to bring on Spring for you- 90 again here today. *sigh* But, on the bright side, I think of you every time I'm in the garden!! I'm going to need to see about overnighting you some fresh veggies in the next month or so ;)

xoxo MM, and have a beautiful day!

Linds said...

Happy Birthday! I will be joinin gthe 60's club in 3 years time. Not long now at all! By all reports, it is a great age to be!

It sounds like a you had a really good, unlike that show. I can't stand gratuitous bad language either, and it was a good idea to depart at haste. Why oh why do they do it??

I know what you mean about catching up. Sometimes I look at all the posts waiting to be read and think, no. Maybe tomorrow. What I do now, is choose a friend and go and read loads and have a really good catch up. It is like sitting in the kitchen chatting!

Val said...

That is the way it is with me too. I can leave my house clean and when I get home there is so much to do. That is so sad about the show you went to see. I would have walked out too. Why do they have to ruin everything? And Happy Birthday to you! I love Pea. She is a darling and someday I want to be that kind of friend. Hope you are doing good.

Hollie said...

Sorry about the show!

Happy belated birthday! Sounds like great gifts & food!

I'll keep our rain any day compared to snow & sleet! Maybe Spring will come to your parts soon!

Susan said...

Enjoyed your newsy post!! It is so terrible that EVERYTHING has to be turned into 4 letter words or very suggestive content. We hardly watch TV any more just for that reason. Nothing is safe. May God help our country and our society. Sorry for getting on my Soap Box but at 73 I remember how good it used to be, when I was growing up. HAPPY 60th!!!!! to you.

palmtreefanatic said...

HAPPY 60th!!!
you look WAY to young to be 60 but hey 60 is now the new 40 anyway...;)
looks and sounds like a fun event;)

Carole Burant said...

Wow, I can't believe my birthday package to you arrived on your special day...I mean, yup, I had it planned that way!! hehe I'm so glad you like what I sent you:-) I treasure our friendship as well and yes, we will meet in person one day!!

I would have walked out of that show as well if I'd had grandchildren with me. As you say, why is it these days they can't do a show without all the swearing and such. I would write to the production company and tell them they should advertise that's it's not a suitable show for children!

Love the cake the kids brought you for your birthday and since it was your birthday, you were allowed to have more than your fair share! lol I love receiving gift cards as well, so much fun to spend them on something you want:-)

I see that you're still having blasts of Winter over there as well. We really need to have that talk with Mother Nature. After that nasty snowstorm we had yesterday, today it's sunny and 45F and supposed to be the same tomorrow. Forecast for Easter...rain! Hey, better than snow! lol

It certainly is very hard to catch up on everything after being away for a few days. I can't even imagine being away for a month, what it would be like! lol

Lots of love to you dear friend. xoxox

Rachel said...

Catch-up is hard sometimes. Seems I'm always behind these days!

Your trip to the Big Apple sounds great. You really managed to cover a lot in 4 days! The view from the hotel is really high up! I think that might be a bit too high for me! The church is beautiful!

Happy Belated Birthday!! Looks like you had a grand time! I don't blame you for leaving the concert. It's a shame they have to ruin things with horrible language. They do the same thing with movies. It does not add a thing and I have never understood it.

I love the gifts Sweet Pea sent!!

Rising Rainbow said...

Funny how stuff still needs to be done even when you're gone.

I wouldn't have been happy with the four letter words either even without grandkids in tow. I don't know why people seem to think that is entertaining.

Happy belated Birthday. I always thought 60 was old until it was my turn too. Now I'm totally buying the 60 the new 40 theory. I don't think old but my body sometimes does creak. Makes me mad! LOL

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Just stopping by to wish you a Happy Belated Birthday!

Dawn said...

Are you caught up yet??

Angie will be moving out there with Kev at the end of May - Kev will fly back the middle of the month to help get things ready, and a friend from TC will fly out on the 29th to help drive the truck back. They're taking a step of faith that is huge!